Wednesday 14 December 2011

Beauty comes from helping others: charities need our support


Christmas is a time when we can usually fill up our wishlist for Santa and get busy with all the festivities with friends and family, but it's also a time to consider others. While, I like to think that I consider others throughout the year, the holiday season is one in which many people think about charity.So I wanted to blog today about what charities I support.

Cancer Research 


Cancer is a big issue for me. In fact, almost everyone in my family (and some friends!) has had some form of cancer, and I've had several family members die from cancer or cancer-related complications. I think research in this area is important and useful and I don't usually shout about it, but every year I give money at Christmas to support research into treatment and prevention. When I was in the US I gave regularly to the American Cancer Society, and now that I'm in the UK, I've been donating to Cancer Research UK.




I have also volunteered with Cancer Research UK's Race For Life this summer in Oxford, which I hope to do again next year.





When I was a little girl, I was a Brownie, and I sold girl scout cookies in the US. Although, I wouldn't say I'm an outdoorsy-type I loved it. So when I read last May in my local circular about how there were girls in my area on waiting lists to join Rainbows, Brownies, and Girl Guides because there weren't enough adult volunteers, it really struck a chord. I enjoyed it so much when I was a kid, and I didn't think any girl should be denied that opportunity. Since then I've become a unit helper with a local Brownie unit and love to give the girls something that they enjoy so much. Yes, sometimes it's tiring to give up your Monday night for others, but its worth it. After all, someone used to give their time up for me, so it's the least I can do.

This is what my Brownie uniform in the US looked like when I was a kid



This is what the UK Brownies wear today.



It's also a great group to be involved with because promoting good in the community is one of the aims of the Girl Guides, so you can feel doubly good!

I also have been active trying to recruit more adult helpers or leaders, so if you're in the UK and interested in getting involved, you can find more info here, or if you're in Oxfordshire send an email to northoxfordandmarstondistrict@hotmail.co.uk  We'd love to have you!


Charity Shops


Last but not least are charity shops. I always donate my unwanted clothes and goods to Oxfam and Mind.

What charities are you passionate about?

2 comments:

  1. Charities are certainly important. I'm a big water girl myself. Every year. I feel good inside by helping others. I donate globally and locally. Most of us have an overabundance even when we call ourselves broke. How can someone not give to others is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful, DJ. It's easy to forget how lucky we are!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...